Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Banana Hazelnut Bread or Cake

We ate this before I could photograph it :)

This is based on the recipe for banana cake by Elaine Gottschall in Breaking the Vicious Cycle.  The hazelnut flour gave it more of a look and feel of wheat then anything else I've tried.  Unfortunately, I also discovered that I'm allergic to hazelnut flour.  This can be a bread or a cake, depending on how much honey you add to it.

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups hazelnut flour (other flour should work as well)
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup melted butter or ghee
1 tsp baking soda (optional, not GAPS legal)
2 extra ripe mashed bananas
honey- 1/3 cup for bread, 2/3 cup for cake

METHOD:

Mash bananas with a fork in a large mixing bowl.  Add other ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Pour into a greased cake, loaf, or baking pan. 

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes, or until the top springs back when poled.  Baking time will vary depending on the shape of pan used.

2 comments:

  1. What reaction did you have to the hazelnut flour?
    If I may ask? And do you think it's just hazelnuts in general? And do you ever soak your nuts before you eat them? Do you think that would help? ~Christin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christin- I have severe Oral Allergy Syndrome to hazelnuts, but since this is caused by a protein that is supposedly easily destroyed by heat, I had hoped that baking with he flour would be okay. I was having emotional symptoms (irritability, nothing seemed to be going my way), and then I did have mouth pain after eating pizza made with hazelnut flour. Soaking and drying would help a little (it helps me with other nuts that I have this problem with), but I think I ma just too allergic to hazelnuts. For those who can eat it though, I think that hazelnut flour is a wonderful option.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.