Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mayonnaise

This is my version of Sierra's recipe for mayonnaise. I think it's a good substitute for store-bought. This is a crowd-pleaser and goes well in mayonnaise-based salads and dips. Now that I've found an extra virgin olive oil that I like, I use all olive oil. I recommend starting out with the 1/2 cup canola or other mild oil, if you are trying to convert anyone to the homemade version.

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 pinch mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 whole egg
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup cold pressed canola oil (or another mild oil, or all olive oil)

Method

Combine first four ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and well-combined. With the motor running, add oil, a few drops at a time (I use an old squeeze bottle for this job). As the mayo starts to thicken, you can add the oil in a more steady, but thin, stream. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

4 comments:

  1. What kind of olive oil do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew someone would ask that :)

    Napa Valley Naturals, Extra Virgin, Organic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that plastic cup-like thing that goes into the tube on the cover of your food processor? You use it to push foods down the tube or keep stuff from flying up out of the tube? Look at it and see if it's got a little hole in the bottom. If it does, you have the perfect device for adding oil, drop-by-drop, when making mayo. My Cuisinart has this. I don't know if other brands do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Chris! I tried this the other day, and it worked great. Makes ya think they actually designed it like that ;) What did I care about making mayo all those years ago when I bought my Cuisinart?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.