Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

BLT Salad


Sometimes I crave certain things. A BLT sandwich used to be a favorite. I developed this salad when Iwas on a GFCF diet. It took me a while to remember that I can have it on GAPS! I use Organic Prairie bacon that is sweetened with only honey. I called the company to be sure that there were no hidden ingredients, and they assured me that there are not. We haven't had any trouble with it, but we still limit it to once per week or less. It's pretty expensive too, so it's one of the few foods that I "ration". This salad is a great way to get the flavor without using too much bacon.

This makes one generous serving for a meal or two smaller servings as an accompaniment. You could serve it with a slice of onion torte and a cup of your favorite soup.

Ingredients

Two big handsful romaine lettuce (or other greens) torn into bite size
A palmful of grape tomatoes sliced in half
3 slices of bacon, cooked crisply and crumbled
2 Tbsp. homemade mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Toss all ingredients together and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. This is funny, I was about to post the same thing! This is a great light lunch in warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.