Following our trials and tribulations as we attempt to remove all grains, many starchy vegetables and most sugars from our diet while maintaining our love of good food! We strive to make all of our recipes GAPS and/or SCD compliant. Note: We didn't know about "Grain-Free Gourmet" when we chose our name. We are not affiliated with those good folks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Apricot Macadamia bars

I am always in search of foods that I can keep on hand to grab-and-go. I still like to be spontaneous on occasion, and having a few snacks around can really facilitate that. These bars were a huge hit with my family, and they travel well. If it's very hot, you should pack them in the cooler so the coconut oil doesn't melt completely.

Ingredients

2 handsful dried apricots (unsweetened of course) 2 handsful organic raisins
2 heaping Tbsp. coconut oil
1 handful chopped macadamia nuts
1 palmful shredded coconut (again unsweetened)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract

Method

Chop apricots and raisins along with the coconut oil in a food processor until they become a mass. Turn out onto a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with side or a bar pan). With clean hands, knead in the remaining ingredients.

Flatten in your pan to about 3/4 inch thick. (I tried to flatten the borders to make my bars neater when I cut them. This did not fill my small jelly roll pan.) Refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars. (I found that holding my hand under my stainless steel pan warmed the bars just enough to release them with ease.) Pack into suitable containers and refrigerate or freeze. They taste good straight from the freezer too.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is what you shared with me. I loved it! Thanks for the recipe - I'm always looking for a wholesome snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one. I'm glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, are these the bars you brought to the GAPS potluck a few weeks ago? I remember you saying they had apricots in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth,

    Yes, these are the same. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Life is getting in the way of the blog :)

    Teri

    ReplyDelete

Copyright

All photographs and written materials are the sole property of the posters, as applicable by law, unless otherwise noted.